Position: panoramic, In town,
Weekly price: min: $ 780 - max: $ 1,030
The Location Castelmezzano is a comune or municipality in the province of Potenza set amidst the most beautiful treasures of the Basilicata region The most spectacular feature of Castelmezzano is ... Read More >>
GROUND FLOOR: terrace equipped for “al fresco” eating with view of the Lucan Dolomites and the "Volo dell'Angelo".
FIRST FLOOR: access from external stairs: Living/dining-room with kitchenette and double sofa-bed (French-sized bed); double bedroom with panoramic view of the Lucan Dolomites; bathroom with hydro-massage shower. Facilities: dishwasher, washing machine, TV.
Free public car park (200 meters). The apartment is situated in a pedestrian zone (vehicles can be parked 50 meters away just to unload the luggage).
Castelmezzano is a comune or municipality in the province of Potenza, set amidst the most beautiful treasures of the Basilicata region.
The most spectacular feature of Castelmezzano is the backdrop provided by the Lucan Dolomites. The urban layout of Castelmezzano is typically medieval, a concentric group of houses with sandstone -tiled roofs set in a rocky basin. It is particularly pleasant to take a stroll through the old historic center to admire the buildings embedded in the rock and the numerous steep flights of steps that open up between the alleyways, inviting visitors to climb up to the peaks above and enjoy the wonderful panoramic views of the Lucan Dolomites. It is this balanced relationship between the town and the natural features which respect the surrounding landscape that has led to Castelmezzano being defined a nature-town and becoming a member of “the most beautiful villages in Italy” club.
The apartment is situated right in the center of Castelmezzano, in a pedestrian zone. The building is typical of the area, it is distributed over two independent floors and features a panoramic outdoor area equipped for eating “al fresco”. The ground floor apartment is occasionally used by the owner, whilst the apartment available to rent is on the first floor. Recently renovated, the apartment has all mod cons: TV, washing machine, dishwasher and, of course, views of the stunning peaks of the Lucan Dolomites and the zip-wire used by people trying out the famous "Volo dell'Angelo"[Flight of the Angel].
- “Volo dell'Angelo”: It is possible to travel to and from the village of Pietrapertosa from Castelmezzano with the Volo dell’Angelo [Flight of the Angel]. This is an unusual yet extremely exciting activity where visitors are harnessed and attached to a steel zip-wire. For a few minutes, as they glide through the air, they are able to experience the exhilaration of flying and savor a panorama that can only normally be enjoyed by the birds or, if you prefer, the angels.
- La Via Ferrata: The Via Ferrata is an equipped and protected route for climbing the Lucan Dolomites that makes it possible to reach otherwise inaccessible places and truly discover the great beauty of this location. The “Via Ferrata Dolomiti Lucane” is classified as Italian EEA (Expert Equipped Hikers) ”not very difficult” level. The route features channels and walkways, vertical passages and exposed stretches.
In 2007, American Arthur Frommer’s “Budget Travel” magazine defined Castelmezzano as one of “the best places you’ve never heard of”, along with Caraiva (Brazil), Estacada (USA), Irgalem (Ethiopia), Puerto Angel (Mexico), the Jura region (France), Jomsom (Nepal) and Sangkhlaburi (Thailand). It is also on “the most beautiful villages in Italy” circuit.
Places to visit:
- The Anzi Planetarium: around 20 km from Castelmezzano, a modern Planetarium-Astronomical Observatory has been built in Anzi (PZ), 1100 meters above sea level. It is a very popular tourist destination thanks to its educational, technical and scientific qualities.
- The ”Sassi” (Stones) of Matera: these constitute the historic town center of the city of Matera and have featured on the UNESCO list of world heritage sites since 1993. Matera is around 100 km away from Castelmezzano.
- The Parco letterario [Literary Park]of Aliano: Aliano is around 54 km from Castelmezzano and hosts the Literary Park of Carlo Levi which retraces the footsteps of the writer who lived here in exile and is the place where he is now buried.
- ... plus: The Castle of Federico II di Lagopesole (around 50 km away); Melfi (80 km); Venosa (97km), the city of the Latin poet, Horace, known by all for the famous phrase taken from his Odes: Carpe diem, which translates as "seize the moment". ...
The below price list shows rental costs per week(sat/sat) - Minimum stay: 3 nights.
|DATE RANGE||WEEKLY RATES||NIGHTS|
|Jan 7, 2017 - Jul 1, 2017||$ 780||7|
|Jul 1, 2017 - Aug 26, 2017||$ 1,030||7|
|Aug 26, 2017 - Jan 6, 2018||$ 780||7|
Bernalda - 113 km
Matera - 100 km
Venosa - 97 km
Melfi - 80 km
Potenza - 40 km
Castelmezzano - 0 km
Airport: Napoli - 200 km
Railway Station: Potenza - 40 km